Menopause Mezze: Aubergine salad
Mezze meals are great to share and perfect for casual summer dining.
Aubergine’s are full of essential B vitamins including B1 and B6 and potassium. In addition, they’ve got high mineral content - copper, magnesium and manganese, all beneficial in maintaining dem healthy bones.
Team this salad up with flat breads, dips and our Roasted Cauliflower and Cumin
Serves: 4 as part of a mezze
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
This recipe was adapted from Syria: Recipes from Home by Itab Azzam and Dina Mousawi
- 2 medium aubergines
- Handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 each red and yellow pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 12 cherry tomatoes chopped
- Handful of walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- Juice of a lemon
- Sea salt and pepper, to season
- Extra virgin olive oil to serve
- Preheat the oven 200 degrees (fan oven)
- Place the aubergines on the top oven rack for 45 minutes, or until soft to touch, turning a couple of times.
- Remove and allow to cool on a rack or in a colander. Once cool to touch peel off the skin.
- Once peeled and cooled, cut into cubes, place the aubergines in a bowl, mash with a potato masher and add the remaining ingredients. Mix together, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.