Raise Your Pulses: Bihari-style peas and potatoes
Low cost simple ingredients make-up this tasty curry side dish. You’ll get your fill of pulses by popping this pea recipe into your diet.
Team it up with Green Lentil Curry with Dhal and served with brown basmati rice ensuring you get a variety of healthy vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre into your menopause diet.
Original recipe by Madhur Jaffrey, extracted from Curry Easy Vegetarian.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp peeled and finely grated ginger
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 285g frozen peas, defrosted under running water
- 1 medium waxy potato (about 115-140g), peeled, boiled and cut into 2cm dice
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Put the oil in a medium, preferably nonstick pan and set over a medium heat. When hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for 10 seconds. Add the onion and stir-fry for 5-6 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the ginger, green chilli and turmeric and stir for a minute. Add the peas, potato, salt and pepper and stir. For 2-3 minutes, sprinkling with a little water if the peas get too dry. Season to taste and serve.