Stew Pots: Winter root vegetable stew with mushrooms and Jerusalem artichokes
This hearty, vegan and gluten free stew is a perfect winter warmer. Colourful beetroots and carrots, mixed with aromatic and smoothly delicious artichokes are the winter seasons, reasons to be cheerful during chilly months.
You’ll be topping up on important minerals with all these root veggies, rich in iron to boost lacking energy levels, along with potassium and vitamin B1, to support your muscles and nerves.
The addition of mushrooms creates a beouf bourguignon inspired stew, that will keep any vegan happy. Serve with brown basmati rice.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 800g Jerusalem artichoke, cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 large carrots, cut into 2cm chunks
- 2 beetroots, cut into 2cm chunks,
- 2 celery sticks, cut into 2 cm chunks
- 2 large red potatoes, peeled, halved, each half quartered
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 250ml dry red wine
- 2 tbsp tomato pure
- 1.2 ltrs vegetable stock
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- parsley to garnish
- Chop the onions and fry over a medium/low heat in a large heavy based pot. Add the garlic after thyme, garlic and bay leaves, stir and cook until the onions are soft and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, scrub clean the Jerusalem artichoke and beetroot, peel the carrots and potatoes and cut into chunks. When the onions are soft and lightly brown add the artichoke, celery, beetroot, carrots and potatoes and fry for another 5 minutes. Grate in some nut meg and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the wine, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat; simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the tomato puree and stir well. Pour in the stock and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Wash and cut the mushrooms into fine pieces. Fry in a frying pan, without oil at first, and then when the mushroom water cooks out, pour in a little olive oil and fry so that they get a nice golden colour.
- Taste the stew and season, if required. Remove the bay leaves and thyme stalks. Stir in the fried mushrooms. Garnish with the parsley and serve.