Superfood Salads: Apple walnut and Treviso salad
The combination of bitter Treviso, sour sweetness of the crisp apples and saltiness of the cheese is what makes this salad special.
Radicchio’s are packed with antioxidants and high energy, helping out with a healthy metabolism and the wellness of our body. It’s also quite effective in fighting those pesky free radicals that are responsible for damaging the DNA of our cells, that lead to heart issues, cancer and diabetes. It’s rich in fibre, therefore a bonus in weight management too.
Teamed with walnuts this fresh, crunchy salad is a summer favourite. Top with Gruyere cheese, or substitute with parmesan or crumbled blue cheese for an extra punch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 50g walnuts
- 2 Treviso (or radicchio), trimmed and shredded
- 2 granny smith apples, quartered cored, cut into bite size chunks
- 2 spring onions (or chopped fresh chives)
- 50g Gruyere cheese, grated
- black pepper to taste
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 80ml extra virgin olive oil
- In a non-stick frying pan toast the walnuts until brown, keep tossing regularly as you don’t want them to burn.
- To make the dressing, place mustard and vinegar in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Gradually whisk in oil until incorporated.
- Arrange the Treviso, apples, onions and walnuts in a salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine. Serve with grated gruyere.
*Feel free to alter the taste with alternative cheeses, like parmesan, crumbled gorgonzola, or goats cheese.