Superfood Salads: Three bean and bell pepper quinoa salad
This multi-colourful protein-packed Mediterranean quinoa salad is full of fresh flavours and perfect served as a main, or side dish. So easy, so healthy and so delicious.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 200g quinoa, rinsed
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 220g green beans, trimmed and snapped into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 each of red, yellow and green bell pepper, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 4 spring onions
- crumbled feta cheese
- 50g black olives, pitted and sliced in half
- small pack chopped fresh basil
For the dressing
- 125ml olive oil
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and stock to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until for 15-20 minutes, until quinoa is tender and all the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, covered. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, blanch the green beans. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until tender crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain the green beans and cool rinsed with cold water, leave to dry in a colander, then pat dry.
- Add the green beans, chickpeas, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, spring onions, feta cheese, olives, and basil to the bowl with the quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over the salad and gently stir until salad is coated with dressing. Season with additional salt and pepper. Serve.