Supplements worth trying for mood swings
It’s essential that you talk to your doctor as supplements may interact with other medications and/or have time limits as to how long you can take them for.
- B vitamins: Especially B5 may help with production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, and other stress-busting hormones.
- Agnus Castus: for perimenopausal women, who have irregular periods and associated mood swings.
- St. John's Wort: a popular choice for mood swings. The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists say that it has been shown to be ‘efficacious’ (their lovely word) in dealing with mild to moderate depression.
- Valerian: a calming phytoestrogen, may balance hormones, helping you to sleep
- Siberian Ginseng, Black Cohosh and Ashwagandha: these adaptogenic herbs containing phytoestrogens that may deal with the hormonal imbalance impacting on mood swings.
- Passion flower: believed to help with sleep problems, anxiety and to regulate moods.
- Menopause products may boost your mood. Try Wild Nutrition’s Botanical’s Menopause Complex, A.Vogel’s’ Menopause Support or Jan de Vries’ ‘Mood Essence Combination Flower Essence, or Menolife Day and Night.